Saturday, August 8, 2009

Knowing God: Part I

I introduced this mini-series last week by linking to the Our Daily Bread devotional for August 1st. I was taken aback when I read Dave Branon's concluding words: "Get to know God. Be His biographer. It will teach you more about Him than you ever thought possible." The problem lies here: if you equate "get to know God" with "be His biographer".

First of all, though, let me say that I'm not bashing ODB or Dave Branon in this post. I do think that he would agree with what is written here. I'm writing to give the broader context for his words.

Today, the word "know" is thrown around flippantly; sometimes, even to mean "I've heard about/am familiar with him." Sadly, even the word "believe" is used this way!

Q: Do you know/believe in Jesus?
A: Sure, definitely (ever since I was born).

Q: Do you know/believe in Jesus?
A: Yes (and Mohammad and Buddha, too)!

We must not stop here - we will end up in hell!

"Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble." - James 2:19 (KJV)

This lower-case "know" is a mere knowledge about God, or a general belief that he exists. God calls us not to just know about him, but to know him in an intimate way.

"O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him." - Psalm 34:8 (KJV)

Many biographies have been written - about good men and bad men. Autobiographies have also been published, but only a fool would encourage his readers to "taste and see that I am good." Knowing God must go beyond being His biographer.

An Orthodox priest, a friend of mine, telephone me and told me that a Russian officer had come to him to confess. My friend did not know Russian. Knowing however that I speak Russian, he had given me my address. The next day this man came to me. he loved God, he longed after God, but he had never seen a Bible. He never attended religious services (churches in Russia are very scarce). He had no religious education. He loved God without the slightest knowledge of Him.

I read to him the Sermon on the Mount and the parables of Jesus. After hearing them, he danced around the room in rapturous joy proclaiming, "What a wonderful beauty! How could I live without knowing this Christ!" It was the first time that I saw someone so rapturously joyful in Christ. (Tortured for Christ, by Richard Wurmbrand, page 18 - © 1969)

An officer in the Russian army, dancing around the room because now he truly knows Christ! Knowing God cannot be limited to a purely academic exercise. Yet, we do need to know about Him; this Biblical knowledge leads us to having a personal relationship with the Lord. It leads us to the cross of Christ, to salvation and regeneration, to glorifying and delighting in Him here on this earth, and living throughout all eternity in His presence.

In the end, a balance is needed - both having a Biblical theology, and knowing God. In the coming posts, we'll look at both of these aspects in greater detail.

No comments: