Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Clipboard: Gossip


One way type of damaging communication is gossip. Gossip presents a great threat because of several reasons. First, it is difficult to control our tongues (James 3:5-8), secondly, it is easy to let information slip out, and, finally, people just like to give their opinion.

Why do we gossip?

  • To boost our ego by showing others that we have the scoop
  • To elevate ourselves by putting others down (Pharisee v. Tax Collector)
  • A desire to bring dishonor or make fun of someone

What the Bible says...

He that goeth about as a talebearer revealeth secrets: therefore meddle not with him that flattereth with his lips. (Proverbs 20:19)

...he that openeth wide his lips shall have destruction. (Proverbs 13:3b)

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. (Ephesians 4:29)

Application

As we go about our daily lives we need to think through our words carefully. My pastor provided several questions that you can use for self-examination.

  1. Do we have all the facts?
  2. Do I know what I am being tempted to gossip?
  3. If I need to say something, am I talking to the right person?
  4. As a listener will I make the decision to quit enabling the one who gossips?

I hope this information has been helpful, I would highly recommend examining the articles and messages that I have linked to in the Resource section of this post.

Resources

Westminster Confession on Gossip

The Plague of Talebearing within the Christian Community

You can download my Pastor's sermon on "Gossip" by choosing either mp3 or the Windows Media Stream here or you can download the sermon by right-clicking here and hitting "Save Link As..."

You may also want to purchase the Vision Forum's message Gossip: The Plague of the Church
(CD Version, MP3 Version)

No comments: