Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Clipboard: Basics of Christian Communication



A key element of Christianity is the communication of the God's Word, I would like to briefly address some of the basic goals that Christian need to have in regards to conveying precious treasure of wisdom that only Scripture offers.

Proclaim the Word
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen. (Matthew 28:19-20)
We are charged by Christ to teach all nations, specifically to observe the commandments found in Scripture. We must use the Scripture as the foundation for what we say.

Always Ready to Give a Reason for the Hope Within
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear. (1 Peter 3:15)
The Christian communicator must be prepared (always!) to be able to defend his faith. At the end of 1 Peter 3;15 we see that there is a exhortation to convey this hope with meekness and fear. I will address meekness later in this mini-series, but the principle of Godly fear when expounding upon Christianity is essential to our approach.

Fear of the Lord
It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea, than that he would cause one of these little ones to stumble. (Luke 17:2 NASB)
When I am instructing others from and about the Scriptures, my one of my greatest prayers is that I do not cause my audience to "stumble." I cannot not stress enough the sobriety that every Christian should have when he approaches the podium. Do not take the mantle lightly!

As we have learned today, the Christian as he fulfills his commission to communicate the gospel, must always be ready to provide a defense of his faith always keeping in mind that he should approach his office with desire to submit to Christ and His Word. I look to forward to explaining many of these issues in more detail in the coming weeks.

No comments: